I’m linking a few posts I wrote on Tumblr right after the later episodes in GOTS7:
Seems WordPress just embeds the whole-ass Tumblr post now. Works for me! But I’ll cut this for length.
And this is my analysis on that dialogue:
Right? I stand by this analysis. Jon was set up for a future of service to guarding the realms of men. This is after he’s escaped his Night’s Watch vows via death and resurrection.
What else about Season 7?
Episode 5: Eastwatch
Episode 6: Beyond the Wall
Episode 7: The Dragon and the Wolf
Teal Deer version, Season 7 gave us hints of certain things pertaining to Jon, to Dany, to their burgeoning romance.
- Jon was resurrected because the Lord of Light has a purpose in mind for him. That purpose is not about living happily ever after. It’s about service.
- Dany may not be infertile after all.
- Jon is technically Dany’s nephew and that will pose a problem for them.
- Jorah Mormont may be competition to Jon where Dany is concerned.
- Oh and also Beric reminds us that “who sits on the Iron Throne” is a secondary concern to defending those who can’t defend themselves.
So we go into Season 8 somehow thinking the show’s ending will follow through with these list items.
I guess one out of five is better than nothing?