Den of Geek (which is a badly coded site that jams up my poor beleaguered laptop) got ahold of the Game of Thrones Season 5 Blu-Ray set before the rest of us, and they shared what they learned from the audio commentaries:
(Well, they shared a lot of stuff, but I’m skipping to what I care about)
33. Bryan Cogman says that an I, Claudius thing is going on with Lord Mace Tyrell (Roger Ashton-Griffiths), who is only pretending to be a useless buffoon at court as a survival tactic. His mother, Lady Olenna (Dame Diana Rigg), says different.
Yeah, see, THIS is why I care about the audio commentaries. Every once in a while, someone tells us a little something extra about the stuff that’s happening. Mace Tyrell isn’t as ridiculous as he appears. He may surprise us yet. And I think Bryan Cogman is a more reliable source than Dame Diana Rigg, seeing how he’s a writer and producer and stuff like that.
109. Although it has yet to feature in A Song Of Ice And Fire, George R.R. Martin has confirmed that it was always his intention for Stannis and Melisandre to sacrifice Shireen to the God of Light.
It’s possible that “sacrifice” doesn’t necessarily mean “burn her alive,” but still: Shireen’s days are numbered in the book series, and her father will be responsible for her cause of death. In case anyone was thinking D&D were on their own in making Stannis into a monster.
One more thing: someone specifies that Stannis is really dead in the finale, and they didn’t show his body because gratuitous, but that’s nothing we haven’t heard already and some people are still thinking Stannis isn’t really dead, so I don’t know what’ll convince them at this point.
Watchers has also snagged an early copy of the DVD set, and this is the list of commentary tracks:
Season 5, Episode 1: Director Michael Slovis, Dir. of Photography Dave Franco and Ciarán Hinds
Season 5, Episode 2: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendoline Christie and Daniel Portman
Season 5, Episode 3: Production designer Deborah Riley, Costume designer Michele Clapton, and DP Anette Haellmigk
Season 5, Episode 4: Director Mark Mylod, Episode writer Dave Hill, Natalie Dormer and Dean-Charles Chapman
Season 5, Episode 5: Director Jeremy Podeswa, DP Greg Middleton, Iwan Rheon and Michael McElhatton
Season 5, Episode 6: Producer/episode writer Bryan Cogman, Maisie Williams and Tom Wlaschiha
Season 5, Episode 7: no commentary
Season 5, Episode 8: . 3 separate commentaries!
1. Director Miguel Sapochnik, Stunt Coordinator Rowley Irlam, Kit Harington, and Kristofer Hivju
2. VFX Producer Steve Kullback, VFX Supervisor Joe Bauer, and producer Chris Newman
3 DP Fabian Wagner and camera operators Sean Savage and David MorganSeason 5, Episode 9: 2 commentaries!
1. Director David Nutter, Peter Dinklage and Iain Glen
2. Executive producer Bernadette Caulfield, DP Rob Maclachlan, and camera operators Ben Wilson and David WorleySeason 5, Episode 10: Showrunners and episode writers David Benioff and D.B Weiss, director David Nutter, and Lena Headey